The Mutant

What can I say about this episode? Well, it's definitely not one of my favorites, but it's hardly terrible either. For the most part it is extremely engrossing and unnerving, especially with a villain like Reese Fowler, one of the series most sadistic bears. On the other hand however, the extremely distracting and out-of-place romance scenes nearly make this OL entry unwatchable a second time. First, we'll start with the good.

Overall, this is a good episode. Every time I hear something about living on an alien world, I start salivating, and this time was no exception. Unfortunately though the "alien world" looks just like Earth. However, two uniquely alien characteristics used very well are the endless daytime and RI rain. Both are very unsettling to say the least. Plus, when you see the effects of said rain, and how it transforms Fowler into a megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur, it's even more disturbing. What's more, is that Fowler, while the bear in this episode, is not your typical threat. Sure he's scary, yet sad at the same time. While struggling to cope with an accident almost totally beyond his control (which is tragic in and of itself) he not only becomes a monster with bug eyes (literally) but also evokes feelings of empathy as he tries to maintain his humanity. He is especially pathetic when he yells "come out" at the cave entrance like a small child, unable to enter because darkness is painful to him. The one great tragedy of this story is Fowler, and it is wonderfully presented.

Speaking of tragedies however, on to the bad. I'm a firm believer in having only one tragedy per story, so the audience will devote its full attention to it and become more attached to the characters. Unfortunately this formula is not applied to this episode. The past/almost rekindled romance between Evan Marshall and Julie Griffith is painfully uncomfortable in this episode, and truly a tragedy; not because of the romance itself, but because this unnecessary subplot basically sucks all the energy out of the story. Upon rewatching this episode I am basically left drained when these dull scenes are ended and feeling dread when the next one begins. This is not good, since Fowler is the one who is supposed to evoke the dread in the viewer. The scenes with Fowler are completely engaging, yet are unfortunately saddled with this extra baggage of a subplot. As I said, there should only be one tragedy in a story, and Pennell and Moreland's half-hearted attempts at evoking any kind of an emotional reaction from the audience are truly wasted time. I felt much more empathy for Oates's character, and none whatsoever for the two space lovebirds. Not only that, but the fact that Dr. Griffith (Betsy Jones-Moreland) hooks up with a guy (Richard Derr, Annex I leader Griff) whose sole purpose in this story is to basically buy the farm speaks volumes on how seriously the writers took this flimsy excuse for a love triangle. And I don't even want to go into the cheesy use of a Zanti prop from "The Zanti Misfits". The Zantis were wonderfully creepy creatures when animated; as stiff, oversized model ants...eh, not so much.

Overall, this is a good episode, and Fowler's malevolence coupled with the tragedy of his situation make for very compelling television. If you're looking for a good love story in The Outer Limits, please look elsewhere however. The love scenes in this one only serve to distract and de-emphasize the power of the primary plot, especially since extremely tense scenes such as the confrontation of Chandler by Fowler seem to be interrupted ad nauseum by a hammy backstory of endlessly frustrated longing. For remarkable love stories in The Outer Limits, please look to "The Man Who Was Never Born" and "The Guests".

I agree, the love triangle subplot took away from the main plot and convoluted things. They had a good thing going with the bug-eyed creepiness and the abject fear caused by the radio isotope rain. The intensity of the episode was watered down by the attempt at romantic tragedy. It was distracting to say the least.